Test Engineer – Fastener Test Lab
Peak Innovations Engineering, located in Machesney Park, Illinois, is a privately owned company focusing on the design, testing and validation of bolted joints. Peak provides all types of technical support and testing to industries using and supplying fasteners. Ultrasonics is the primary technology used to very accurately measure tension in fasteners. The use of this technology and the ability to interpret the data differentiates Peak from other testing and consulting firms specializing on fasteners and fastening.
We are seeking an experienced, results-driven and independent thinking Team Member to work full-time in our fastener test lab. This position will work directly with sales and engineering, Peak customers and internal Peak team members providing fastener testing and consulting services. The qualified candidate has a strong mechanical engineering background coupled with a practical mechanical aptitude and is accustomed to working in a team environment. Knowledge of fasteners and fastening applications is beneficial.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to perform design analysis/problem resolution to assist in developing engineering designs
- Ability to supply technical direction to engineering support personnel
- Analysis of experimental assembly data (i.e., torque, angle, clamp load) to determine joint characteristics and assembly specifications
- Maintain effective communication with internal/external customers
- Work in a fast-paced, team-based environment.
- Utilize strong time management, analytical, and leadership skills with a commitment to being detail oriented.
- Be highly motivated, well organized, and results driven
- Take on additional responsibilities and demonstrate flexibility in both work schedule and work environment based on business needs.
- Travel to support business activities between 25-50% which may include some overnight travel.
- Proficient in MS Office with ability to utilize/learn computer tools such as MC911, Stanley Alpha Toolbox, and others as appropriate.
- Prior experience with 3D CAD software beneficial.
- Basic knowledge of clamp load measurement techniques (e.g., ultrasonics, strain gauges, physical bolt length measurement, etc.)
- Basic machine shop and fixture design skills.
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of statistical and mathematical tools.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Understand basic fastened joint design practices (e.g., clamp load, external forces, joint components, fastener design).
- Understand standard assembly plant fastening methods (e.g., torque, torque & angle, torque to yield).
- Understanding of design and manufacturing processes.
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience in an engineering role.
- Fastening design or test background preferred.
- Automotive experience a plus.
Peak is a progressive, growing, profitable company with great fringe benefits including:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life/AD&D/Short Term Disability Insurance
- Holiday/Vacation Pay
- Profit based bonus plan
- Educational Assistance Program
Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls, please)
PEAK is an Equal Opportunity Employer who does not make hiring and/or promotional decisions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.